Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I've Just Seen a Face, I Can't Forget the Time or Place...

As the not having luggage problem was reaching beyond the point of mild annoyance, we redoubled our efforts to find the wayward baggage by going alllll the way back out to the airport. Turns out, they did have our bags. On the other side of customs. Which meant going back through security. Whopee. (Luckily, we did find the bags amidst the sea of other 'lost' luggage)

With baggage safely secured, we resumed our more normal touristy activities. Today being a little colder, we decided we were up for the outdoors. After taking a brief walk through Harrods, (I mean, who wouldn't?) we wound our way through Hyde park toward Buckingham Palace. The guards do really stomp around quite impressively. They also scratch their noses. We were convinced it was a form of secret code. What they could be discussing though, eluded us.

I wasn't able to ask if they'd sell me an elephant though, unfortunately
These are GIANT meringues
Not shown: wide horse path. Surprisingly not fully of people
There were a lot of flowers in Hyde Park
I may or may not be in love
The clock tower is really impressive
After taking in the royal presence, we went to St. Paul's Cathedral to feel divine presence. (It is Sunday) We may have also been going to an organ concert. And that cathedral had wonderful acoustics. The organ sounded... I don't even know. I normally will just sit and listen to organ music regardless of location, but I almost felt transported to somewhere else as I sat under the dome for the concert.
It's also been rebuilt. The original was even larger. I'm not quite sure it's possible.
This cathedral is so large it doesn't fit in my picture
Since we were "in the area" we poked our heads over towards the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. (There is some bridge in London somewhere, super specific- I know, that used to put heads of criminals and enemies on spikes to warn off people. But I totally don't remember where anymore. I had thought it was Tower Bridge, but that bridge wasn't built til like the 1840s) We timed our visit perfectly since we even got to see the bridge open!

Now used as cricket feilds of all things
The moat doesn't seem to be kept up as a useful defense anymore
I think it's supposed to be lucky to see it go up? I could use the luck
It looks heavy. I'm glad they no longer have to hand crank it
As a final goodbye to London, we went up in the London eye just as the sun began to set. It was beautiful watching the sky grow purple and see all the lights turn on. Especially the lights for Big Ben.
It never stops moving, and it still takes 30 min to go all the way around.
The giant bicycle wheel.. er Behold! The London Eye!
This was the clearest photo, and it's still blurry. ><
I particularly like seeing Big Ben at night

No comments:

Post a Comment