Wednesday, July 10, 2013

For SCIENCE!

I went to the Deutsches Museum! It's now probably my favorite museum.

He also knows a lot of chemcial names in German. I don't
All you need to know about this picture: this guy is a boss.

It has everything. (Especially when they finish renovations and have a planetarium again) It has robots. It has old boats. It has old planes. It has new planes. It has math puzzles. (<3) And model trains, harpsichords, organs (that are played!), a Focalt's pendulum, the solar system (minus Pluto), glass blowing, old computing devices (that they'll turn on), liquid nitrogen demonstrations (never can get enough of that stuff) and, and, and... everything. Basically.

I think there may be a thing to this indoor sailing...
There's surprisingly good wind inside

So you should definitely go if you've ever though about science. (which is everyone.. or should be ¬¬) Probably my favorite exhibit was the mathematical puzzles. It ranged from colored tile patterns, building shapes from specifically shaped blocks, and a bit on knots to trying to Conway's game of life.(unfortunately out of order).

Conveniently next door was the history of computers, starting with the abacus. As I went on a guided tour of the exhibit (in German of course - I was pleasantly surprised with how much I understood. Luckily for CS a lot of the words are the same. gigaflop == gigaflop) I learned how to use a bunch of ancient calculating devices. Want to know my plan for the next no-calculator exam? Bring an abacus. :D

After geeking out all day at the museum, we got a nice dinner at a small restaurant. I admit it. I didn't get German food. After a month and a half of almost exclusively local cuisine, I couldn't stand one more day of Maultaschen or Wurst or some creamy pasta with mushrooms. Instead, I got Thai curry. It was a very welcome difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment